The Minister for Health has announced that staff who are performing vital frontline HSC or social care work during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak may be eligible for a life assurance scheme, recognising the increased risks they are currently facing.
In the event of a staff member dying due to COVID-19 a lump sum payment of £60,000 will be made to their estate, if they meet the qualifying work-related criteria for the scheme. The scheme is non-contributory, meaning there is no cost to staff or employers.
The Health and Social Care Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme is independent of the HSC Pension Scheme. Any lump sum or pension benefits payable to the relatives or dependents of HSC Pension Scheme members will continue to be processed and paid as before.
The scheme will be administered by the HSC Pension Service Pension Liaison Team.
Further details regarding the life assurance scheme, including the benefit claim form, are available below:
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme 2020 Information
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Claim Form
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme Information for Claimants and Employers
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme Dispute Resolution Guidance
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme Dispute Resolution Application
- HSC Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme Business Rules
- HSC Life Assurance – Student Factsheet